Ok... the day has arrived. Kyle's Dad is here and we are prepping to tear out the kitchen and tear up the flooring. Holy crap. I'm very excited and very nervous. We are not going to have a kitchen for a whole month! The plan is to chip away at the flooring over the next couple of weeks but the kitchen will be done the last week of the month. Normally I associate the start of fall with the return of cozy cooking and lots-o-eating but it will have to wait until next month for us. Cooking is my stress relief too so it should prove to be a slightly challenging month. That being said, I feel so fortunate that we have the opportunity (and the in-laws) to help us fund and do this project. It really comes down to making our house a home. I love to cook (obviously) and having a open, functional, inviting kitchen will make me beyond happy! Over the next few weeks I will share our plans, the inspiration, the work-in-progress and the ups and downs as we take on our first remodel! Here's a few photos of the kitchen before to get you started...
The issues we've had with the kitchen are:
1) The upper cabinets stick out really far and were mounted low so there's very little counter-space to work.
2) No extraction fan which makes the kitchen smoky and grimy.
3) The range is really cheap and doesn't work well, has poor temperature control and the broiler is in the bottom drawer.
4) Speaking of drawers... this kitchen has one normal drawer and a few squat/small ones. Must add drawers.
5) The "fridge cave" serves no purpose, closes up the room and takes up lots of floor space.
6) The cabinet that juts out is just in the way! The counter is the only usable countertop but it's too high to use easily.
See how closed up it all is? Danelle came over on Tuesday and helped me pack everything up! Kyle's Dad is now starting to cap off outlets and unmount the cabinets! We are taking everything to a rebuild center so hopefully it will find a new home!
Okay, I've got to go help now! We are also working on finishing the patio. Wish us luck!
Oh and on a side note, I'm not going to be posting September Menus. I'll have a really good one for you in October but I'm not going to be cooking much this month! If you need some ideas look at the past menus!